Huasao Wetland, visit Baby Groot in Cusco!
Huasao Wetland has giant sculptures that became its main attraction. You are more than welcome to visit famous character of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Baby Groot. Come with your family, friends or with your special one and get ready to have fun!
Huasao Wetland is located in the district of Oropesa, approximately 1 hour far from Cusco.
Since Huasao Wetland is in Cusco, has two distinct seasons: dry and rainy.
Dry season: From May to October
Rainy season: From November to April
Best time to visit:
You can visit Huasao Wetland any time of the year. However, we recommend coming during the dry season, from May to October, since there is less rain and the roads are safer. You should bring warm clothes for mornings and nights are colder.
Important facts that you should know:
Huasao Wetland used to be abandoned and forgotten by locals. No one cared about this place to the point it was a wasteland that locals used as their dump. It was thanks to the initiative of the authorities and local people of Huasao that a comprehensive conservation and management plan. This project consisted on promoting the natural area and to turn it into a tourist attraction site. “Ecosystem Restoration and Beauty Landscaping Program of the Huasao Wetland” project took place. The purpose of is the restoration of natural ecological spaces within the urban area, an area dedicated to the preservation and protection of natural ecological niches, as indicated by the sources of the municipality of Oropesa.
What can you see in Huasao Wetland?
Since its opening Huasao Wetland has become a very popular tourist attraction site. This popularity is thanks to the presence of the movie characters that are admired and loved by children and adults. When you get there you will see the following movie characters carved in wood:
- Towering statues of Ents that are trees that walk and talk in the “Lord of the Rings” movies. Some of the figures are 5 meters (16 feet) tall, with branch-like hands dramatically reaching out.
- A smaller reproduction of Groot from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” series. This pop culture icon from the Marvel movie, wears an inviting smile.
- Some 58 bird species build their nests at Huasao Wetland, including the yellow-crowned night heron, one of many that migrate from the southeastern United States. These herons have been spotted four times recently at the rejuvenated wetland.
- Flora like canihua, chilca, weeping willows, poplars, evergreen shrub (chachacomos), kantu, Schinus molle among others. Visit this natural resource located in Huasao, 30 minutes from the Cusco city.
- Huasao Wetland has lagoons known as “water mirrors” that have a great variety of flora.
What can you eat near Huasao Wetland?
Since Huasao is located in the district of Oropesa, “Bread Capital”, you should definitely try the delicious bread first. Bread from Oropesa is very famous for its flavour and size. The road to Huasao Wetland is the same that takes you to the South Valley Tour. On this route, you will pass through Saylla, “Land of chicharrones (fried pork)”. Don’t miss the opportunity to try this delicious Cusquenian typical dish.
You should also try “Cuy al Horno” (Baked Guinea Pig). This is Tipon typical dish. There is also the Archeological Complex of Tipon that you can visit while being there.
How to get there?
Inkayni Peru Tours shares three options to get to Huasao Wetland in Cusco:
First Option: By Bus
You have to take the bus on Cultura Av. The buses that take there are the ones that go to Urcos. Let the driver know that you will leave the bus in Huasao bus stop. It costs S/.5 PEN roundtrip. This is the cheapest way to get to the town, but the longest, 45 minutes approx.
Second Option: by Taxi
You can take a taxi from any point of the city. It may cost from S/30.00 to S/ 40.00 Peruvian soles.
Third option: with a Tourist Operator
This is the most recommendable option since you will have everything arranged in advance for you. The staff will make sure you make the most of the experience.
From Monday to Sunday, all day long. We recommend going there in the morning. This way you will have more time to enjoy the outdoor activities
To enter Huasao Wetland you have to pay S/ 2 PEN
- Bring your personal documents with you all the time.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen to prevent from sun damage.
- Pack warm clothes for cold nights.
- Drink water to keep hydrated.
- Buy dried fruit to have something healthy to eat at anytime.
- If you have time, we recommend visiting the Jurassic Park, a very nice park with dinosaur, and sites to practice adventure sports, in the district of Oropesa, Cusco.
“A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.”– Oliver Wendell Holmes