Discover the new Rainbow Mountain, Pallay Punchu!
Pallay Punchu or Pallay Puncho of Apu T’akllo Apacheta Mountain is the newest tourist attraction site in Cusco. It is part of the list of places for travelers to visit in 2021. Don’t miss the chance to hike the third Rainbow Mountain of Cusco! In this blog, we will share more information about this gift of nature.
Location and altitude:
Pallay Punchu Mountain is located in the district of Layo, province of Canas, Cusco at an altitude of 4700 m.a.s.l. It takes 3 hours approximately to get there from Cusco.
Since Pallay Punchu Mountain is located in the region of Cusco, it has two distinct seasons: dry and rainy. Dry season is from May to October and rainy season is from November to April. Something special about the place is that the weather is cold and windy in the mornings while it is dry and sunny in the afternoons.
Best time to visit:
The best season to visit Pallay Punchu Mountain is during the dry season, from May to October, since there is less rain and the roads are safer. You should bring warm clothes.
Pallay Punchu Mountain, the newest tourist attraction site of Cusco
The people of the surrounding areas also known Pallay Punchu Mountain as Pallay Punchu of Apu Tákllo Apacheta. One of the things that stands out the most are the jagged peaks of the mountain. This is the third Rainbow Mountain that has been recently discovered. It is really worth to visit the mountain while staying in one of the most beautiful cities of the world, Cusco.
It owes its existence to the geological formation which contributes to its variety of colors such us red, brown, marron, magenta and some others. Not only the colors make this a beautiful spot, but also the impressive view you get there. It is next to “Langui” Lagoon!
How to get there?
We will travel a total distance of 5.3 km approximately. Once in Layo, we will start the hike up to the mountain. It will take from 3 to 4 hours to get to the top. If you are in good health condition, it can be less time. Please note that it is important to acclimatize to the altitude in Cusco before doing any challenging hike.
Inkayni tips for the hike:
- Be in good physical condition. This way to will be able to get to the top of the Pallay Punchu Mountain.
- Bring trekking poles to keep the balance while hiking the Rainbow mountain. They will help you go up and down the hill.
- Come 2 or 3 days before you start any hike in Cusco. This way you can acclimatize to the altitude in Cusco.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen to prevent from sun damage.
- If you wear glasses make sure they have UV sun-block.
- Since the weather in Cusco unpredictable, bring a rain poncho.
- Pack warm clothes like raincoats, beanie, gloves, etc. Mornings can be very cold.
- Hiking shoes must be worn in advance to avoid hurting your feet.
Is it better to hire a tourist agency?
There are two ways to get to Pallay Punchu mountain. The first is going on your own, but you need to go with someone who knows the road to the mountain. Make sure to have someone reliable to take you there. This way you can avoid any inconvenience.
However, for your own safety, we recommend hiring the service of a licensed tour operator. If you do so, your main concern will only be taking good pictures along the road to Pallay Punchu Mountain.
What is the recommended age to hike Pallay Punchu Mountain?
Although anyone is allowed to hike this mountain, we recommend no one younger than 12 years old go hiking. If you have children with you, no one will take responsibility for them, but you.
What should you bring?
- Personal documents, passport
- Extra money (local currency preferable)
- Water. Keep yourself hydrated
- Coca leaves to deal with altitude sickness
- Some snacks
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson