The importance of wearing a bike helmet
Did you know that wearing a helmet is a sure lifesaver? According to the project of the Law Nº 2946 that promotes the using of a bicycle as mean of transportation, it will also has a positive impact on the health, the economy and the environment.
Among the benefits of riding a bicycle as a mean of transportation we can name the following:
Health Benefits of Cycling:
- Cycling is a good way to control or reduce weight, as it raises your metabolic rate, builds muscle and burns body fat. If you’re trying to lose weight, cycling must be combined with a healthy eating plan.
- Regular cycling stimulates and improves your heart, lungs and circulation, reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. Cycling strengthens your heart muscles, lowers resting pulse and reduces blood fat levels.
- Mental health conditions such as depression, stress and anxiety can be reduced by regular bike riding. This is due to the effects of the exercise itself and because of the enjoyment that riding a bike can bring.
- It saves on CO2. Even a short commute of around 5 miles to work each day can quickly add up to more than 100 gallons of gas over a year, and correspondingly contribute to carbon dioxide emissions and global climate change. Biking to work doesn’t require fossil fuels and can help to reduce your personal contribution to climate change.
- All tires use rubber, which typically comes from rubber plantations planted over rain forests that have been clear-cut and burned. But the skinny tires of a road bike use far less rubber than car tires, which helps to reduce demand for rubber and can save rainforests from being converted to plantations.
While it is true that cycling has many benefits, it is also important to know how to wear the proper equipment when performing this sport. Among the most important outerwear and equipment we should make sure to have in good condition are the helmet and the bike.
You may wonder if wearing a helmet is that important.
Well, the answer is definitely a yes. It is not only important but also mandatory. In case of an accident wearing a helmet can prevent from having a major injury.
What injuries do helmets prevent?
While helmets do not prevent a brain injury, they do reduce the risk of a structural brain injury by as much 85%. Helmets also do reduce the risk severe physical injuries to your head such as a skull fracture, along with other structural damage that can occur in brain injuries.
How does a helmet work?
A helmet works in three ways:
- It prevents direct contact between the skull and the impacting object by acting as a mechanical barrier between the head and the object;
- It spreads the forces of the impact over a greater surface area so that they are not concentrated on a particular area of the skull; and
- It absorbs the impact energy and reduces the magnitude of the forces transmitted to the skull and brain.
How to Properly Wear a Bicycle Helmet
Helmets come in various sizes, just like hats. Size can vary between manufacturers.
- When choosing a new helmet, it is best to try it on first before buying. If you intend to purchase online, you may wish to stop in at a bike shop first and test a few models.
- Each person’s head is also shaped differently, so it’s best to choose a helmet that fits you best and does not have any pressure points.
- Make sure you wear a helmet everytime you go riding.
To select and properly fit a bicycle helmet, follow the helmet fitting instructions below. It may take some time to ensure a proper fit.
Step 1: Size
Measure your head for approximate size. Try the helmet on to ensure it fits snugly. While it is sitting flat on top of your head, make sure the helmet doesn’t rock side to side. Sizing pads come with new helmets; use the pads to securely fit to your head. Mix or match the sizing pads for the greatest comfort. In your child’s helmet, remove the padding when your child’s head grows. If the helmet has a universal fit ring instead of sizing pads, adjust the ring size to fit the head.
Step 2: Position
The helmet should sit level on your head and low on your forehead—one or two finger-widths above your eyebrow.
Step 3: Buckles
Center the left buckle under the chin. On most helmets, the straps can be pulled from the back of the helmet to lengthen or shorten the chin straps. This task is easier if you take the helmet off to make these adjustments.
Step 4: Side Straps
Adjust the slider on both straps to form a “V” shape under, and slightly in front of, the ears. Lock the slider if possible.
Step 5: Chin Strap
Buckle your chin strap
Buckle your chin strap. Tighten the strap until it is snug so that no more than one or two fingers fit under the strap.
Step 6: Final Fitting
Does your helmet fit right? Open your mouth wide…big yawn! The helmet should pull down on the head. If not, refer back to step 5 and tighten the chin strap.
Does your helmet rock back more than two fingers above the eyebrows? If so, unbuckle, shorten the front strap by moving the slider forward. Buckle, re-tighten the chin strap, and test again.
Does your helmet rock forward into your eyes? If so, unbuckle, tighten the back strap by moving the slider back toward the ear. Buckle, re-tighten the chin strap, and test again.
Roll the rubber band down to the buckle. All four straps must go through the rubber band and be close to the buckle to prevent the buckle from slipping.
Reduce the risk of injury:
Injuries to the head are one of the most important reasons for dying and annoying brain injury for cyclists in site visitors accidents. Consistent with the countrywide dual carriageway visitors protection management, bicycle helmets are eighty-five to 88 percent effective in mitigating head and mind injuries. This truth makes helmets the single most effective manner to lessen your hazard of a disturbing mind injury or death.
Set an instance to your kids
Via imposing the usage of helmets with your house, you may shop your lifestyles and the lifestyles of your child. When finding a bicycle helmet for a kid, ensure it suits!
In addition to placing an example to your children, wearing a helmet also can help to inspire helmet use among others.
Inkayni Peru Tours is devoted to protecting our heritage and legacy given by our ancestors and to fully enrich the elements that contribute to have a wonderful experience during our clients’ holidays, making their visit a memorable one.