09 Day Cusco – Classic Inca Trail and Titicaca Lake
09 Day Cusco – Classic Inca Trail and Titicaca Lake. This package connects two magical and sacred routes that will familiarize you with the legacy that the Incas have left behind. Enjoy the phenomenal views of the archaeological sites that dominate the Inca Trail, accompanied by spectacular views of the imposing and mythical Andes. Following the Route of the Sun, we will reach the Peruvian highlands to navigate the lake that according to the chronicler Garcilazo de la Vega gave rise to the mysterious Inca culture. You will feel like the magic that permeates each site will leave its essence in you.
DAY 1: ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
- Upon your arrival at the airport in Cusco, an Inkayni Peru Tours member will be there to greet you and take you to our partner lodge, located in the charming historic district of San Blas. The lodge is centrally located and only a few minutes walk from the Plaza de Armas, the beautiful and bustling town center. This day will be reserved for resting and acclimatizing to the altitude, approximately 3400 meters (11,000 feet).
- Meet your expedition group at 5:00 pm
DAY 2: EMBARK ON A TOUR TO CHINCHERO, MARAS & MORAY
Lodging: Cusco Tandapata Boutique Hotel *** or similar (Cusco).
DAY 3: FIRST DAY OF THE INCA TRAIL, PISCACUCHO TO WAYLLABAMBA (15 KM)
After breakfast, we will travel to the starting location of the trail, known as kilometer 82. This first day is relatively easy-going and smooth as we move along visiting ruins such as the city of Llactapata. This ruin, constructed at the foot of a mountain, was a very important center that had administrative, economic, and religious functions. We will also visit Willkarakay, a military post located above the site of Patallacta.
After visiting these two sites we will enter the valley of Wayllabamba, walking along the banks of the Cusichaca (“happy bridge”) River, also observing the Inca terraces that belong to the previous archaeological sites. Continuing our gradual walk upward we will arrive to our first campsite in Wayllabamba.
DAY 4: SECOND DAY OF THE INCA TRAIL, WAYLLABAMBA TO PACAYMAYU (16 KM)
- We will begin our day very early to reach the end of the day the highest point on the Inca trail, the mountain pass of Warmihuañusca (dead woman’s pass).
- The trek in the morning is rather physically intense, more so for those who are not accustomed to hikes at this altitude, yet it is also one of the most spectacular. In the first part of the trail, we will walk approximately 1 hour and a half through the cover of a densely vegetated Andean forest until arriving at the campsite of Three Stones, where we will take a short rest.
- Continuing on our ascent, the habitat will begin to change as we enter the inter-Andean forest full of Unca trees, unique to this area. Two hours later we will arrive at another campsite, Llulluchapampa, where we will take an extended rest with snacks and hot drinks. From here begins the final ascent to the pass of Warmihuañusca at 4,215 meters (13,829 ft), the highest point of the trek, a great opportunity for fantastic panoramic views of the surrounding valleys below, before descending a few hours to our next campsite in Pacaymayu for the night.
DAY 5: THIRD DAY OF THE INCA TRAIL, PACAYMAYU TO WIÑAYHUAYNA (10 KM)
- We will begin ascending about 45 minutes to the archaeological site of Runkurakay, located mid-mountain, that was in ancient times a Tambo, or resting place. Another 45-minute ascent will take us to the second highest pass of the Inca trail, Runkurakay (3950 m, 12,959 ft), after which we will descend to the beautiful archaeological site of Sayacmarca, constructed in a strategic location. After a thorough visit, we will continue down the beautifully paved road to our lunch site at Chaquicocha.
- From here onward to Phuyupatamarca we will enter the high Andean cloud forest, a marvelous display of Nature’s beauty. Here the trail continues a narrow ridge until arriving at the pass of Phuyupatamarka, a natural viewing area where it is possible to see the Sacred Valley and numerous mountain peaks, as well as our final destination of Machu Picchu. From here we will descend to our last campsite, passing a very important archaeological site and temple designated for offerings to the sacred mountain spirits of the area, as well as a large terraced area for agriculture. Slightly beyond is our campsite for the night, Wiñayhuayna.
DAY 6: FOURTH DAY OF THE INCA TRAIL, WIÑAYHUAYNA TO MACHU PICCHU (5 KM)
- We will rise very early to complete the final stretch of the Inca Trail, which brings us to Inti Punku or the Sun Gate, the principal entrance of the crystal city of Machu Picchu. The trail here is fairly easy going and after about an hour we will arrive at Inti Punku, an awesome location to observe the citadel of Machu Picchu and, weather permitting, sunrise in the Andes.
- Afterward, a 45-minute descent will take us into the higher area of Machu Picchu, a natural lookout point for the “famous” classic picture and an opportunity for a group picture. Here we will enter as a group to the main entrance for registration before returning to the site for the main tour to learn more about this magical place of beauty and culture left by our ancestors. The tour will last approximately between 2 or 3 hours, then you will have time to explore and climb to the Huayna Picchu mountain (at an extra cost and have to be booked in advance). In the afternoon we will descend by bus to the town of Aguas
- You will meet your guide in Aguas Calientes for lunch and to be given your train tickets back to Cusco. Included in our service is the tourist bus from Machu Picchu down to Aguas Calientes, return on the train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo where you will be collected and taken by bus back to Cusco.
Lodging: Cusco Tandapata Boutique Hotel *** or similar (Cusco).
DAY 7: DEPARTURE TO PUNO (ROUTE OF THE SUN)
- In the morning we will depart from the bus terminal and head towards Puno. This is a special journey by bus which allows us to visit the many diverse locations along the way on the route of the sun. There will we planned stops to visit the following:
- Andahuaylillas: (the Sistine Chapel of the Americas, this temple is one of the best examples of the fusion between Catholic and Andean religions)
- Raqchi: A Inka temple dedicated to the God Wiracocha, construction of monumental dimensions, an estimated 100 meters long, 26m wide, 14m high. This is the only known temple dedicated to the God Wiracocha, creator of the Universe.
- La Raya: Midway point on our journey and the highest point on the road – 4335 m.s.n.m. The impressive views here allow us to admire the rugged high altitude, full of tall peaks, many of which are snow-capped, and herds of llamas, alpacas, and vicuñas. This is the geographic border between two cultures, the Quechua of Cusco and the Aymara of Puno.
- Pucara: This ceremonial center is one of the oldest and most important of the high plains, well known for its lithic structures and tombs.
DAY 8: UROS (FLOATING ISLANDS) – TAQUILE ISLAND
- Very early in the morning between 04:00 to 04:30 am, our transport will pick you up at your hotel to start the tour.
- We will go to the south of the city, crossing fields, rivers, mountains, and villages. We will travel for about 2 hours until we reach the town of Cusipata, where we will enjoy our delicious breakfast.
- After breakfast, we will travel for another 45 minutes, observing beautiful landscapes, canyons, glaciers, and herds of llamas and alpacas, until we reach the starting point of the hike in Pulawasipata.
- We will walk for approximately 2 hours until we reach the Mountain of Colors or Winincunca. On the way, we will observe numerous South American camelids with their shepherds dressed in beautiful colorful typical costumes.
- Upon reaching the top of the Mountain of Colors, we will have enough time to take the photographs and enjoy the landscape. Besides, we can also clearly appreciate the highest snow in Cusco, the Ausangate mountain.
- Later we will undertake the return along the same path until we reach our transport to return to Cusipata, where we will taste our delicious buffet lunch.
- After lunch, we will return to Cusco, our vehicle will leave you in the center of the city.
Lodging: Royal Inn **** or similar (Puno).
DAY 9: PUNO – JULIACA – FLY TO LIMA
- According to your flight schedule, we’ll be ready to transfer you to the Juliaca airport, located 1 hour from Puno city.
- After this brief transfer from Puno to the neighboring city of Juliaca we’ll say goodbye and finish our services. (End of tour)
- 05 nights accommodations in 03 or 04 stars hotels (based on double occupation).
- 03 nights accommodations in camps
- 8 breakfasts (3 breakfasts during Inca trail and 5 in your hotels).
- 5 lunches (3 during Inca Trail and 2 during “Route of the sun” and the other one during “Uros – Taquile” tour).
- 3 dinners (During Inca Trail).
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- All entrances fees to the rest of the attractions mentioned in the package.
- All transportation.
- All transfers during the package.
- The Voyager (Incarrail) or Expedition (Peru Rail), Return train service from Machu Picchu.
- Buses from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes town.
- Private guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Professional English-Speaking Tour Guide during the whole trip
During Inca Trail.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Professional Cook
- Porters to carry all equipment
- Personal porter for 5 kg/11.02 lbs per person (1 personal porter is included – up to 5 kilos per duffle bag, which will be provided and must fit all your belongings PLUS sleeping bag)
- Pick-up from your hotel
- Transportation by bus to Km 82
- Return transportation by train and bus to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first day of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Afternoon Snacks (Happy Hour) and 3 Dinners during Inca Trail reconfirm the day of our briefing
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Oxygen bottle
- Inflatable Thermares or REI sleeping mattress (which you must carry)
- EUREKA Tents – Comfortable and spacious (2 people per tent)
- First-aid kit
- Entrances Tickets to Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Single supplement or single occupancy: US$?????? (03 stars hotel) /us$????? (04 stars hotels)
- Meals where are not stated
- Huayna Picchu entrance fee US$35
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Original Passport
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
THIS TOUR RUNS ONLY AS A PRIVATE SERVICE.
****Daily Departure with at least 02 people****
- Under 18 years old: US$ 25:00 Please send us a copy of the passport at the booking time.
- Under 10 years old: US$ 65:00 Please send us a copy of the passport at the booking time.
- Student Discount (Maximum Age 25 years old): US$ 25:00 Student discounts apply to anyone who has a valid UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD at the time of the trek or who is 17-years-old or younger. For those using a university student card to receive the discount, we need to see a copy of the card at booking. For those booking children 17-years-old or younger, we need a copy of their passport at booking time. Please send all to email@example.com. More Information about STUDENT CARD.
- Daily departures: We pick you up from your hotel 30 minutes before the tour.