- Salkantay Pass
- Machu Picchu
In this journey you will trek from 3,900m/12,800ft to 2,100m/6,900ft, traversing across magnificent mountain passes, enjoying enormous and mystical snow-capped peaks
Tour MapView map >
08 Day Cusco & Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
We have created Salkantay Trekking – Salkantay Trek Tour & Museo Inka Cusco, an adventure in which you will be able to experience Peru at its best and like never before. Above all, Salkantay Trekking is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests.
Certainly, in this journey, you will appreciate nature in its purest form, and exploring more than 15 different ecosystems that we have in this area from beginning to end of Machu Picchu trek Salkantay. Moreover, the chances for ethnic and cultural exchange are ever-present with local natives who still remain closely attached to their heritage and are very willing to share it.
DAY 1: CUSCO NAVEL OF THE WORLD – MUSEO INKA Y KORICANCHA
According to your flight schedule, we’ll pick you up from Cusco airport and transfer you to your hotel. So, the morning will be reserved for resting or free time. Then, in the afternoon, we will visit the Inka Museum, home of thousands of years of Andean culture. Here we will become more familiar with the origins and beginnings of Andean civilizations.
Continuing with the tour, we will move onto the temple of Qoricancha. Above all, it’s famous Sun Temple of the ancient Inca capital, that was and remained the pinnacle of organization, architecture, and religion of Inka civilization. During its construction, they had already achieved the most significant advances of their time, and this temple may have been the exact representation of the center, or “Navel of the World”. Therefore, the center of the world, as dictated by the pre-hispanic Andean cosmovision.
- Lodging: Cusco Tandapata Boutique Hotel *** or similar.
DAY 2: FREE DAY (OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES)
OPTION 1. – HALF DAY CITY TOUR (EXTRA US$25)
The pick up is around 2:00 pm.
The places to visit are:
OPTION 2. – FULL DAY SACRED VALLEY (EXTRA US$50)
We will pick you up around 8:00 am
The places we will visit are:
- Pisaq Market.
Lodging: Cusco Tandapata Boutique Hotel *** or similar.
DAY 3 TO 7: 5 DAY SALKANTAY TREKKING CUSCO TO MACHU PICCHU
DAY 3: FIRST DAY TREK: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA (L)(D)
Firstly, we will leave from Cusco approximately between 4:30 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. A bus will take us to the town of Mollepata (2900 meters above sea level). Then, we will arrive around 8:00 am, we will stop for last-minute supplies, leg-stretching, or to use the restrooms. We will continue to our trek starting point, Sayapata.
Consequently, we will meet with our support staff, and they will load the equipment on horses and mules. So, around 9:00 am we will begin our walk toward Soraypampa (3850 meters above sea level). During the trip, we will have panoramic views of the majestic Salkantay, other mountains covered with snow, and the Valley of Apurimac River. Then, around 1:00 pm, we will have a Peruvian lunch. After that, we will continue hiking toward Humantay Lake for 3 hours approximately. Absolutely, this is a beautiful lake in the heart of the mountains. Finally, we will come back to our camp where the tents will be ready for you as well as your dinner.
- Lodging: Campsite in Soraypampa
DAY 4: SECOND DAY TREK: SORAYPAMPA – CHALLWAY (B)(L)(D)
Today, nature will change drastically from dry sceneries to snowy peaks and tropical areas. After a nutritious breakfast, we will start the most challenging part of the trek. Subsequently, we will start the hike around 7:00 in the morning. We will hike to a place called SalkantayPampa. Then, go toward the left side of the snowy peaks of Humantay located next to the Apu Salkantay. At midday, we will be on the highest point ( 4600 meters above sea level).
Certainly, we will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay (6264 meters above sea level), which is known as the second-highest point of the Cusco region. Then, we will have our lunch in the area called Huayracmachay. After a trek of approximately 3 hours, we will arrive at our camp in Challway (2920 meters above sea level). Finally, around 7:00 p.m, we will recuperate from the trek and eat dinner.
- Lodging: Campsite in Challway
DAY 5: THIRD DAY TREK: CHALLWAY – LA PLAYA – LUCMABAMBA (B)(L)(D)
Firstly, we will start our trek at 7:00 am, and we will enjoy the beautiful sunrise. Consequently, we walk for about 5 hours toward Playa Sahuayaco. During this period, we will observe a town called Collpabamba, also called the “Forest Cloudy Brow,” where waterfalls, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to find the famous bird called the “Cock of the Rocks‘ — the national bird of Peru Once. Likewise, at Playa Sahuayaco we’ll have lunch. After that, we are going to hike a couple of hours more to get to Lucmabamba, which is our last campsite, also the beginning of the Inca trail of Llactapata.
- Lodging: Campside in Lucmabamba
DAY 6: FOURTH DAY TREK: LUCMABAMBA – LLAPTAPATA -HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES (17KM , HOURS 9)
Firstly, around 8.00 am we will gradually hike up for about 2 hours to finally get to LlactaPata, a beautiful archeological site that has connections to the Inca sites Machupicchu and Sayacmarka. So, we will have plenty of time to explore this nice Inca site. Then, start our descent to HidroElectrica (power plant) which will take us about 1 ½ hours. Certainly, a pleasant 3 hours walk will bring us to Aguas Calientes where we will stay in a hotel for the night. After having stored our baggage we will go out and have dinner together in one of the many restaurants.
- Lodging: Aguas Calientes Hatun Samay Hotel *** or similar.
DAY 7: FIFTH DAY TREK: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO (B)
This last day starts very early. We will wake you up at around 5.00 am to have our breakfast. Then, we’ll take one of the first buses to Machu Picchu. There are two good reasons to be at the entrance of Machu Picchu very early:
1. It is well worth the effort to get up early, we’ll find the Inca city quiet. You will have plenty of time to take photos and enjoy the sunrise in Machu Picchu.
2. Our guide will give you a tour around Machu Picchu telling you about the history of Machu Picchu and the most important temples and altars. After that, if you still have plenty of energy you should climb Huayna Picchu Mountain. This is the steep mountain dominating the background of Machu Picchu.
Usually, we take the bus at around 1:00 pm. The bus ride takes around 25 minutes and your guides will give you the ticket. Make sure that, before you leave Machu Picchu by bus, the guides give you the time and location of the restaurant where the group meets in Aguas Calientes. Finally, you will get your train and bus tickets back to Cusco in the restaurant in Aguas Calientes.
- Lodging: Cusco Tandapata Boutique Hotel *** or similar.
DAY 8: FREE DAY-FLY TO LIMA
Free morning to relax, this afternoon transfer to the airport for your departure to Lima.
INCLUDES BEFORE SALKANTAY TREK TOUR
- All transportation.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Entrances fee
- All tours.
- 03 night’s accommodations in 3 stars hotels.
- Breakfast included in the accommodations
INCLUDES FOR THE SALKANTAY TREKKING CUSCO:
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide.
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+.
- Mules to carry cooking, camping equipment and 6 kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up and transportation from your hotel to the start of the trail.
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own).
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4 Dinners.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes, Day 4.
- Inflatable mattress.
- Oxygen bottle.
- First aid kit.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip)
- Train ticket Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo
- transportation Ollantaytambo-Cusco.
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us).
- Single Supplement US$250 (solo travelers)
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
- International and intra flights.
- Meals where are not stated
- Huayna Picchu entrance fee US$35
- Entrance ticket to the hot springs
- First breakfast and last lunch at Aguas Calientes.
- Meals where not otherwise stated as included.
- Gratitude or tips for your crew (cooks, horse herders, guides)
WHAT TO BRING (Salkantay trek tour):
- Original Passport
- Current University Card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- A waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries
Extra services for the tour package
|Hire of sleeping bag 5 season||$25.00|
|Walking stick highly recommended!||$15.00|
|Additional night at 3 star hotel||$85.00|