- Machu Picchu
This journey also offers opportunities for ethnic and cultural exchanges as we pass through communities and meet locals who are willing to share with open minds their rich cultural heritage
05 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu – Group Service
The Tour Salkantay Trek 5 Day hike- Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail where massive snowcapped mountains mingle with lush tropical rain forests.
Considered to be one of the best treks in the world, the Salkantay Trek offers a variety of Peru ecosystems; from deserts and jungles to mountain passes, and azure lagoons!
This Salkantay hike passes near enormous majestic snow-capped peaks, immersing in nature in its purest form. Above all, exploring more than 15 different ecosystems all within 5 days. This Salkantay Hike also offers opportunities for ethnic and cultural exchanges, that locals still honor and practice to this day.
- Group Size: Small Groups not more than 10 people.
OVERVIEW SALKANTAY TREK 5 DAY TO MACHU PICCHU
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA – HUMANTAY LAKE (L)(D)
- Walking Distance – 12km / 7.45 miles
- Starting Elevation – 3350 m. / 10990 feet.
- Highest Elevation – 4200 m, / 13779 feet.
- Campsite Elevation – 3900 m. / 12795 feet.
- Difficulty: Challenging
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – CHALLWAY (B)(L)(D)
- Walking Distance – 22 km / 13.7 miles
- Starting Elevation – 3900 m. / 12795 feet.
- Campsite Elevation – 2920 m. / 9514 feet.
- Highest Salcantay Elevation – 4630 m. / 15190 feet.
- Difficulty: Formidable
DAY 3: CHALLWAY – LA PLAYA – LUCMABAMBA (B)(L)(D)
- Walking Distance – 18km / 11.19 miles
- Starting Elevation – 2920 m. / 9514 feet.
- Campsite Elevation – 2000 m. / 6561 feet.
- Highest Elevation – 2920 m. / 9514 feet.
- Difficulty: Moderate
DAY 4: LUCMABAMBA – LLAPTAPATA -HIDROELECTRICA – AGUAS CALIENTES (17KM , HOURS 9)
- Walking Distance – 17 km / 10.6 miles
- Starting Elevation – 2000 meters ASL / 6561 feet ASL
- Campsite Elevation – 2050 meters ASL / 6571 feet ASL (Aguas Calientes hotel)
- Highest Elevation – 2702 m. / 8858 feet.
- Difficulty: Mild
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO (B)
- Activity Overview: Private Tour in Machu Picchu with optional hike “Huayna Picchu” or “Machu Picchu Mountain”
- Activity Level: easy
ITINERARY SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 5 DAYS
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA – HUMANTAY LAKE
You’ll start this Classic Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu Firstly, we will leave Cusco around 4:30 am by our private van to the town of Mollepata (2,900 meters) where we will arrive at about 8:00 am. Here we will stop for last-minute supplies, a quick stretch, and a restroom break. Subsequently, we continue upwards by our private van to our trek starting point at Challacancha.
At Challacancha we will meet with our support staff, load our equipment onto horses and mules, and by 9:00 am, we begin our walk towards Soraypampa (3,900 m). During this part of the Salkantay hike, we already can have (weather permitting) panoramic views of the majestic Salkantay and Humantay mountains. After that, By midday, it’s time for a classic Peruvian lunch. After lunch, our trail continues upwards toward Humantay Lake, turquoise waters right at the foot of the glacier. Upon descending back to our camp, our tents will be ready for you, as well as dinner.
- Lodging: Campsite in Soraypampa
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – CHALLWAY
Today our Salkantay hike, nature will change drastically from barren alpine to snowy peaks and tropical areas. After a nutritious breakfast prepared by our local Salkantay trekking chef, we will start the most difficult part of the trek Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu. Firstly, We will start the hike around 7:00 am. We will hike to a place called Salkantay Pampa, continuing left upwards towards the face of Salkantay. Subsequently, By midday we will reach the highest point of the trek (4,600 m).midday we will reach the highest point of the trek (4,600 m).
The views from here are literally breathtaking – not only Salkantay glacier (6,264 m) but also the surrounding peaks and valleys below. So, Around 1:00 pm, we will have lunch in the area called Wayraqmachay. After a trek of about 3 hours, we will arrive at our camp in Challway (2,920 m), When you arrive at the campsite the Salkantay trekking staff will have your tents all set up and your duffel bags ready. Certainly, Later in the evening we will rest from the trek and share dinner together at our camp in Challway (2,920 m).
- Lodging: Campsite in Challway
DAY 3: CHALLWAY – LA PLAYA – LUCMABAMBA
After a delicious homemade breakfast, you’ll start the shortest but most exciting day of your Salkantay adventure. Today you’ll experience the most beautiful sights along your Salkantay trekking route to Machu Picchu. We will start our Salkantay hike through the high jungles. After about 5 hours we will arrive at Playa Sahuayaco near the town of Collpabamba, traversing an altitude known as the “eyebrow of the Amazon,” where waterfalls, fruit-bearing trees, and diverse flora and fauna manifest in absolute abundance. Meanwhile, If we are lucky, the famous Andean bird known as the “Cock of the Rocks‘ may appear to bless us with its beauty. After that, Once at Playa Sahuayaco we will rest and have lunch. In the afternoon, continuing downstream a few more hours, we arrive at the town of Lucmabamba, which is our last campsite and also the beginning of the Inca Trail to Llactapata.
Here you will visit a local organic coffee farm where you’ll have the opportunity to explore some of the orange and avocado plantations as well as taste some of the freshly-brewed coffee. During your visit to the coffee farm, you’ll get a brief informational introduction to the region’s coffee history as well as its importance to the area.
- Lodging: Campsite in Lucmabamba
DAY 4: LUCMABAMBA – LLACTAPATA – AGUAS CALIENTES
This morning the portion of the Salkantay hike will gradually hike upwards for about 2 hours to the archeological site of Llactapata, an impressive center with connections to Machu Picchu and Sayacmarka. After that, we will have plenty of time to explore this beautiful Inca site before descending to the Hydro-Electrica (hydro station) which takes roughly 1.5 hours. From here, a gentle 3-hour walk will bring us to the town of Aguas Calientes where we will check in to a hotel for the night. After that, we will meet up again for dinner together at one of the many restaurants in town.
- Lodging: Golden Sunrise Machu Picchu Hotel *** or similar
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Our last day of the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu route starts very early – we will wake up at around 5:00 am for breakfast and catch one of the first buses up to Machu Picchu. Most importantly, to avoid the main crowds and also see the citadel during the first rays of morning light. Subsequently, Our guide will start the day with a tour of the most important locations, altars, and constructions around Machu Picchu. During this walk, he will also share with you what we know about the history of this place and the people who lived here. If you still feel like you have energy after the previous days, now is the time to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
Then, Once you feel complete with your visit to Machu Picchu, a bus will take you back to Aguas Calientes for lunch. After lunch, we will board the train to Ollantaytambo and from there continue by our private van to Cusco. (End our Salkantay hike to Machu Picchu )
SALKANTAY TREK 5 DAY INCLUDED:
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office for orientation. Here we provide you with duffle bags that will be on horseback during the trek horse-back during the trek
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+.
- Professional Cook
- Horses to carry all equipment and 7 kg of your personal items
- Pick-up and transportation from your hotel
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own).
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks, and 4 Dinners. If you have a dietary request (vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free, etc) or allergy please advise us upon booking and reconfirm the day of our
- Wake up tea: Every morning our staff will bring tea to your tent
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Golden Sunrise Machupicchu ****)
- Double thickness foam sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip)
- Train ticket Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Transportation Ollantaytambo-Cusco.
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us). US$25.00
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 5.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain US$35.00
- Travel Insurance (We highly recommend insurance for your entire trip)
WHAT TO BRING FOR SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU:
- Original Passport
- Current University Card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho.
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitizer.
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries or Headlamps
****Daily Departure with at least 2 people****
|NUMBER OF PAXSPAXS||PRICE PER PERSON||ACTION|
|2 or More People||US$ 609.00|
OUR GROUP SIZE: Small Groups not more than 10 people.
Discounts for Salkantay Trek 5 Day:
- Group of 5 or more: US$25.00 All of you need is to book the trek altogether at the same time.
- Under 18 years old: US$25.00 Please send us a copy of the passport upon booking
- Student Discount (Maximum Age 25 years): US$25.00 Student discounts apply to anyone who has a valid UNIVERSITY STUDENT CARD at the time of the trek or who is 17-years-old or younger. Likewise, For those using a university student card to receive the discount, we need to see a copy of the card when booking. Similarly, For those booking children who are 17-years-old or younger, we need a copy of their passport at booking time. So, Please send all to firstname.lastname@example.org. More Information here: STUDENT CARD
Max & Lee (Youtubers) Salkantay trek with our team
|Hire of sleeping bag 5 season||$25.00|
|Walking stick highly recommended!||$15.00|
|Additional night at 3 star hotel3 star hotel||$85.00|
- Valid, STUDENT CARD (if you booked as a student)
- Immigration Card (given on the plane as you enter Peru)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: Water reservoir like Camelbaks are encouraged – but enough for at least 2-3 liters.
- Comfortable hiking boots (lightweight with good soles)
FOR YOUR DUFFEL:
Horses will carry up to 7 kg of your personal items. This must include your sleeping bag and foam sleeping mattress(if you bring/rent one). From us these two items weigh 3.5 kg.
- 2-3 wicking t-shirts
- 2-3 hiking pants
- 4 sets of undergarments.
- 4 sets of hiking socks
- 1 Fleece
- Warm, down jacket: gets very cold at night
- Rain jacket and pants
- sun hat, wool hat
- Headlamp: essential
- Waterproof gloves (even if they are ski gloves, take them)
- Comfortable shoes for camp
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Quickdry towel. We provide small ones, you might enjoy something a little larger.
- Small bottle of soap: we provide warm water each day to clean – might make you feel fresh if you had a little soap.
- Battery Charger: There is no place to plug in while trekking!
- Large plastic bags: to help organize and keep clean from dirty.
- Sleeping bag: Recommend down bags for -10C at least
- Face moisturizer
- Bug spray
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medication
- First aid kit: band-aids, moleskin, etc.
INSIDE YOUR DAYPACKS:
Daypacks can be any size for hiking, but we always say the smaller, the better. Inside Machu Picchu, bags larger than 25L will not be allowed in. If it is larger, you will need to store it outside citadel gates. But don´t worry, they have a secure storage facility.
- Water: we supply clean water at each meal. You are responsible for your first morning of water only as we won’t have time to filter water until your first lunch.
- Rain gear
- Music (IPhone)
- Toilet paper and small plastic bag for waste
- Extra Money for Souvenirs, Drinks & Tips
Why take this tour with us?
Inkayni Peru Tours is continually working to become one of the most responsible tour operators in Peru. We ideally try to keep our groups to a limit of 10 persons. Therefore, since we fully operate all of our treks, we have complete control over the quality of our service. Therefore, we want to make sure that you have a great experience on all our treks and tours.
Above all, it is also crucial that all the people involved in the operation of our services are treated and taken care of properly, and that the benefits brought by tourism are shared throughout the Peruvian communities.