5 Day Choquequirao Trek
Choquequirao is a really fascinating walk which goes into the Apurimac canyon. It is the distant and little visited “Lost City of the Incas”. The meaning of the name in Quechua is “the Golden Cradle” and is considered as the place where the last Inca rulers went after losing the city of Cusco during the Spanish conquest. This Inca archaeological site is considered as “The Sister of Machu Picchu”.
During the tour, you will appreciate beautiful landscapes and mountains, remote ancient villages celebrated in the last century by the ranchers, a very special Inca town built on the top of the hills by the mitimaes of Chachapoyas to honor the great Pachacutec. The route offers biodiversity of flora and fauna, so that along the trail you will experience different microclimates and ecosystems. It is currently a hidden gem that is not easily accessible to visitors but not impossible either.
DAY 1: CUSCO – CACHORA – CHIQUISKA (L)(D)
DAY 2: CHIQUISKA – ROSALINAS BEACH – CHOQUEQUIRAO (B)(L)(D)
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO (B)(L)(D)
DAY 4: CHOQUEQUIRAO – COCAMASANA (B)(L)(D)
DAY 5: COCAMASANA – CONOC – CUSCO (B)
DAY 1: CUSCO – CACHORA – CHIQUISKA
We will leave the hotel in Cusco early at 05:30 a.m., we will travel around 4 hours to reach the town of San Pedro de Cachora. Here, we will meet our muleteers who will take the mules. We will begin our two-hour walk to the “Abra of Capuliyoc” (2800 masl) where we will have lunch. We will continue with the descent approximately 3 hours towards Chiquiska (1930 masl), the place of our first camp where we will enjoy our dinner.
DAY 2: CHIQUISKA – ROSALINAS BEACH – CHOQUEQUIRAO
After taking our nutritious breakfast, we will hike during 5 hours towards Maranpata to have lunch and enjoy the beautiful view of Choquequirao. After that, we will walk 2 more hours to reach the archaeological complex of Choquequirao and spend the night near it. In the afternoon, we will have tea time, then dinner.
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO
This day is essential as we will tour the entire archaeological complex of Choquequirao and explore some places that are covered by the lush vegetation of the cloud forest. Our guide will be responsible for providing you all the relevant information about the place, its history and the importance it had in the past. After this, you will have free time to explore the complex on your own. Lunch and dinner will be given in our camp, after nightfall, we will rest in the same place as the night before.
DAY 4: CHOQUEQUIRAO – COCAMASANA
We will start the long descent towards the Apurimac River where we will stop for lunch. After this, we will begin to ascend gradually around 3 to 4 hours towards our last camp that is Cocamasana (2300 m.s.m.) to have our dinner, where we will have spectacular views of the Choquequirao route.
DAY 5: COCAMASANA – CONOC – CUSCO
After having obtained a delicious breakfast, we will walk around two hours to reach the Apurimac canyon and get amazing photos. Here ends our trek, which we will continue our trip by bus back to Cusco. On the way, we will stop to observe the huge stone of Saywite, carved by the Incas in representation of their empire. After 2 hours, we can enjoy the thermal waters of Conoc to relax and have a delicious lunch. Finally, we will arrive to Cusco.
- A briefing at your hotel (6 p.m.) the night before you depart
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide.
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+.
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment and 7kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up and transportation from your hotel to the start of the trail.
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own).
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers.
- Foam mats.
- Oxygen bottle.
- First aid kit.
- Entrance to Choquequirao.
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us).
- Breakfast on Day 1
- Lunch on Day 5.
- Entrance to Conoc
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
THINGS TO BRING:
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Swimwear and slippers (for showers and hot springs).
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries or Head lamps.
THIS TOUR RUNS ONLY AS A PRIVATE SERVICE.
****Daily Departure with at least 2 people****
|NUMBER OF PAXS||PRICE PER PERSON||ACTION|
|*04 people||$ 599.00|
|*05 people||$ 579.00|
|*06- 08 people||$ 539.00|
- Under 18′s Discount: US$20
|Hire of sleeping bag 5 season||$30.00|
|Walking stick highly recommended!||$15.00|
|Additional night at 3 star hotel||$85.00|